Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Milk Prices

If you buy milk regularly for your family you undoubtedly have noticed that the price of milk has spiked recently.  The last time I checked at Wal-mart the Great Value brand was $3.07 a gallon!!  I was shocked.  Luckily it was a week that Walgreens had it on sale for $1.99 a gallon so I was able to price match and stock up with an extra gallon. 

The past two weeks I have been getting my milk at Sam's Club.  Here's the prices that I found there today:

Fat Free = $2.28 a gallon
1% = $2.34 a gallon
2% = $2.38 a gallon
Vit D = $2.44 a gallon

That's a little easier to swallow, since our family drinks a lot of milk.  I have heard of several frugal friends who freeze milk.  I have never tried this, but I am told all you have to do is leave a little head room in the container and then put it in the freezer.  Once you are ready to use it, let it thaw in the fridge and then shake it up.  The only milk I was advised not to do this with is whole/vitamin D milk.  Apparently it separates too much and doesn't really ever go back to it's pre-frozen state.  If you want to read more about freezing milk or it's "best buy" date check this info here (this page seems to take a minute to load).

If you have ever froze milk, leave us a comment and tell us what your experience was.  How did it turn out?  Did it taste the same?  Did you leave it in the plastic jug?

4 comments:

  1. We have frozen milk before . . . when we go on vacation and still have to much left or I get a great price. Leave it in the jug make sure you open it and take some out for expansion and it works fine. The kids like icy milk too while it thawing! :) Do NOT freeze creamer . . . ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried milk but have tried creamer and I agree with Krista. EEWW! It was chunky upon thawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recommend freezing anything except skim. My kids won't drink the milk if it's been frozen (the consistency can be a lttle off), but hubby will and it still works for cooking.

    ReplyDelete