Thursday, March 25, 2010

Knowing the Store's Coupon Policy

Today while checking out at Target, I was reminded about how important it is to be familiar with your store's coupon policy.  I had a cashier who didn't want to let me use a particular coupon because it's face value was more than the price of the product itself.  I politely explained Target's coupon policy to her but she continued to insist that she was correct.  At first I told her I had time to wait while she called corporate to get the proper coupon policy, but then I told her that if she didn't want to call corporate I could show her the copy of Target's coupon policy that I carry in my coupon binder.  It's printed straight from Target's website.  I pulled it out and read to her the line about this particular instance.  Here's what it reads:

• Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
• We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.

After that, she agreed and adjusted the amount of the coupon to be the value of the item.  I didn't have to wait for a manager to be called over or for her to call corporate.  Of course, I didn't get the overage that I was expected on those 4 items but I still got them for FREE.  Overage is a gift, not a right, so I was happy with my FREE items.  I didn't want to make a big stink because the other items in my cart that I was getting overage on slipped right by her!

So, to make things easier for my deal seeking friends I have added a "Store Policies" section on my sidebar and I will continue to add these as I find them.  I would recommend printing these and keeping them handy when you shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment